1.1 This document deals with power-operated temporarily installed builder’s hoists (referred to as "hoists" in this document) intended for use by persons who are permitted to enter sites of engineering and construction, serving landing levels, having a load-carrying device:
- designed for the transportation of goods only;
- travelling vertically or along a path within 15° max. of the vertical;
- supported or sustained by drum-driven wire rope, chain, rack and pinion or an expanding linkage mechanism;
- where masts, when erected, may or may not require support from separate structures;
- which permits the access of instructed persons during loading and unloading;
- which are driven by appointed persons;
- which permits, if necessary, during erection, dismantling, maintenance and inspection, the access and travel by persons who are competent and authorized.
1.2 The document deals with the significant hazards, hazardous situations or hazardous events relevant to such equipment as listed in Annex C which arise during the various phases in the life of such equipment and describes methods for the elimination or reduction of these hazards when it is used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
1.3 This document does not specify the additional requirements for:
- hydraulic installations;
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- lightning protection;
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- electromagnetic compatibility (emission, immunity);
- handling of loads the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. molten metal, acids/bases, radiating materials, fragile loads);
- the use of combustion engines;
- the use of remote controls;
- hazards occurring during manufacture;
- hazards occurring as a result of mobility;
- hazards occurring as a result of being erected over a public road;
- fixed guards;
- operator intervention.
1.4 This document is not applicable to:
- builder’s hoists for persons and materials;
- lifts according to EN 81 3:2000+A1:2008 and EN 81 20:2020;
- inclined hoists according to EN 12158 2:2000+A1:2010;
- work cages suspended from lifting appliances;
- work platforms carried on the forks of fork trucks;
- transport platforms according to EN 16719:2018;
- work platforms;
- lifts specially designed for military purposes;
- mine lifts;
- theatre elevators;
- special purpose lifts.
1.5 This document deals with the hoist installation. It includes the base frame and base enclosure but excludes the design of any concrete, hard core, timber or other foundation arrangement. It includes the design of mast ties but excludes the design of anchorage bolts to the supporting structure. It includes the landing gates and their frames but excludes the design of any anchorage fixing bolts to the supporting structure.
1.6 This document is not applicable to builders' hoists for goods (hoists with accessible platforms) manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.
When the standard is harmonized under a directive or regulation, the word Harmonized appear. When such an inscription does not appear, it means that the standard is related to / supporting the relevant directive or regulation.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)
БДС EN 12158-1:2000+A1:2010
prБДС EN 12158-1:2021
60.55 Ratification completed (DOR)
Oct 17, 2021
Only informative sections of projects are publicly available. To be in charge of development of standards, you will need to become a member of the Technical committee. If you are a member, please log in to your account by clicking on the "Log in" button.